Just came across a new phrase recently. Bio-nutrient. Well, first we have organic, then nutrient dense, and now, bio-nutrient. I suppose we are now going to differentiate between the synthetic nutrient and the normal stuff. It felt like iPhone 7 all over again.
While driving to work one morning, I received an amazing inspiration for my rainwater collection project. Where to put it, the design, how to make it work, pretty much everything came together. The only thing then is to get the IBC tanks at a killer deal.
Well, I got this three in near new condition for half the price of a brand new one. It’s a steal. It hadn’t been used to store any toxic material beforehand either, just had some dried up non toxic glue in it, it was used to store milk for calves. Drove up to the yard, the farmer loaded it up with the tractor and helped me tie it down. We had two double stacked towards the front and one hanging off the back of the ute. He reassured me that it is safe and legal for the double stack as they normally do triple stack. Least he didn’t say, “just avoid the main roads”.
Getting home is easy, no drama, the weather was calm, no gusty winds on the road to blow things over. The first tank hanging off the back is easy enough to unload by myself. Then comes the double stacked tanks. I have to choose between bringing it to the engineering place nearby to get them to forklift it off and part with some chocolate, or to unload it myself.
Well, let’s say I choose not to say “it can’t be done”, but “how can it be done?”.
For a start, the first IBC tank that I have unloaded was positioned right behind the truck with enough gap to fit an IBC tank between it and the double stacked tanks. Then 2 banana boxes placed on the tailgate to cushion the IBC tank on top. Climbed up to the IBC tank on the ground, and slowly lever down the IBC tank at the top down onto the banana boxes. Climbed down, pull the tank on the ground away, and work the other tank to the ground.
For a week where it felt like I took one step forward and many steps back, I felt like a winner yesterday. 😉
In the sun room, the watermelon seeds germinated, and this particular variety, seems a bit odd with its yellow cotyledons.
Pumpkins are growing leggy reaching for the sun.
Tomatoes are coming along nicely. I am starting to harden up the seedlings now with all the windows in the sun room opened for the breeze to come through.
The comfrey babies are coming through now. Its a matter of time before this become a comfrey haven.
I don’t know what this is. It showed up in front of the cherry trees.
These are really beautiful looking mushrooms.
Plenty of foraging in the Forest Garden nowadays.
The mesclun mixes that I have sown in the guilds have all come through adding a delightful color palette to the Forest Garden. And they are mostly edible, apart from the weeds.
I won’t be eating them though as I have just gone through the Forest Garden to spray off the grasses. Ta-da~ I am not so organic after all.
Gave the Belgian Fence a tidy up today. Bit of pruning to get things growing where I want them to grow. The aphids population are booming at the moment. Here’s a rather creepy sight. Not going to spray them off. They are going to be sustenance for the good guys to come along and set up shop.
Saw a ladybird having lunch.
The bronze beetles thought they have got plenty of privacy… Yea nah.
The grasses have been mowed, and some sprayed. Belgian Fence had a bit of a prune. The soil in the Mandala Garden has been nourished with Neem granules, Rok Solid, and BioPhos. Prepared the place to position the tanks.
Next week, hopeful to get hold of a water blaster and clean the tanks out. And perhaps, for the first time in a long time, enlist the help of my neighbor to place the tanks in their final spot. They are going to be sited side by side, then all will be linked up together, the roof water from the garage will feed into it, overflow will drain into the garden as well as another down pipe that goes to a soak hole.