Old wisdom never fails. Unless one gets it wrong. Like measure once, cut twice, or was it the other way round?
So, I gave the Caesar Fence an upgrade. I put in the top rail as Caesar has jumped the fence. It is now slightly higher, and protruding out on Caesar’s side, the width is 10cm.
Behold, my first attempt at woodworking joint. Just a splice joint.
Here’s when things go wrong. There’s a big difference when you read a 9 as a 6. You ended up 3cm short. So, I cut another piece of 3cm to butt it in. Measure once, cut twice.
The perfectionist in me is so tempted to drop everything and head over to Goldpine for a new piece of 2 by 4 to get the job done perfectly. The perfectly imperfect me managed to resist that notion and settled for a not very pretty fix.
The Summerfruit Lawn is planted up. Just waiting for some other peaches and nectarines to arrive. Here we have 3 intensive planting spot, each with 3 varieties of stonefruit and one each of red currant, black currant, and gooseberry.
The one closest are stonefruits with red leaf. The one in the middle, heritage stonefruits. And the furthest one are the Flatto range.
The weed mats have been rolled up now. Surprised to see some grass managed to survive. The non-woven weed mat does seem to let some light through. All the grapes except one have been planted. And I have marked the center of the Mandala Garden ready for the next stage of design work.
An idea came in the other day to use the old half sleeper posts as edging in the Mandala Garden. The thing is to cut them into shorter lengths and use the lengths vertically to form the edges. I have an idea brewing in my head on how to put it all together, it just needs to brew longer. It involves drilling two to three holes, use short lengths of bamboo stake as dowel to pin it into the ground, and some U-nails at the top to link the pieces together. After all, I have a lot of bamboo.
I got hold of 3 varieties of hop plants, just the roots, which I have planted into 3 different pots. I’m growing hops in pots. And let them run up strings along the wall by the back door. Planted some Bellis Habanera into the pots as well.
Last but not least, while I dug up the currants last year from the Orchard Cottage to move them over here, I cut them back, but I didn’t throw the wood away, I stick them into the same planter bags to try to root them. Currants root easily. And viola! Some baby currants and gooseberries. There’s 12 of them there.
Next week, I’m going to plant out the dwarf comfrey, and probably the daffodil bulbs that’s still sitting in the mushoom box. Plant out the rhubarb, and mulch the Olive and Guava patch. And do some design work on the Mandala Garden.