Fenced Up!

As I sat here, and heave a sigh of relief. One of the most important task on this property is finally completed. It’s fully “fenced” up and Caesar fenced in. It took quite a while, from getting the gate hung, improvising job on the gudgeon to make it fit, modifying the front fencing, getting the trees out first, cutting off the old pipes, drilling in dynabolts, putting in the bamboo fence, getting the East side fence on, cutting back the conifer hedge, putting the stakes in, putting the fence up, it all sounded so simple on my to-do list.

img_2495

It’s done. Done. Done. Done! I can finally let Caesar hang out outside with a peace of mind that he is not going to run off somewhere. Unlike being on the farm, I could just put on my shepherd tone and yell out loud, really loud, till the cows come home. Here, I’ve got to be a bit more civilized. I stand a chance to be reported to SPCA for animal abuse…

img_2497

No more sneaking through the hedge for Caesar. The fence is about a foot away from the hedge. It will double up as a berry trellis for the kiwiberries, boysenberries, and other hybridberries.

In doing this side of the fence, I realized there’s a drop in elevation as I went from the front of the property towards the back, the difference is slightly more than a foot.

img_2496

The sweetcorn are gaining a foothold. Some interesting pattern here, there’s a zebra striped patch of them growing healthy, and some struggling. Just about coincide with the patches where the old trees came out.

The bamboo fence has been lowered further, it looks much better now.

img_2488

The beauty of livingstone daisies!

img_2500

The nitrogen fixers are starting to come through now… I’ve put mulch on beforehand to stop the birds from getting to the seeds.

img_2498

The wind forced a hand last week. It blew the seedling nursery over, and everything popped out of the trays and lay in a heap on the floor. I guess it’s God telling me to stop procrastinating and pot up those seedlings into larger pots. So here they are… How do you tell Cardoon and Globe Artichoke seedlings apart?

img_2499

Some good looking tomatoes there…

img_2502

The morepork perching on the gate post.

img_2501

And the fantail on the mailbox.

img_2494

The first bread in this house. Made with a breadmaker. Still have got a bit more trial and error to do before I can come up with a decent loaf. I think this one didn’t rise enough.

img_2493

Next up, the raised bed for the Belgian Fence. Mark out the area for the Biointensive garden with some stakes, and topdress with a few loads of compost before the weedmat goes on. And there’s also the more extensive seedling nursery to be built.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s